Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Clarification re. the "OSR Adventure Path" and Other Flights of Fancy

Usually when I make a blog post along the lines of "Wouldn't it be cool if someone made a book of hexmap sandboxes" or "Someone should make a quality, non-railroady OSR Adventure Path," it is not a case of me coyly saying "I'm thinking about making the aforementioned product..hint...hint.." it's pretty much me saying "I wish someone would make this so I could buy and use it," or, to be pithy, "I hope someone takes this idea and Petty Gods it..."

I'm just pointing this, because with the comments left in some of my wishful thinking posts, some folks seem to be operating under the misapprehension that I am considering writing said wishful thinking products. When I win the lottery (which will never happen...) I'd love to ditch my day job and become a gentleman hobbyist publisher that throws money at fine folks to make my dream RPG products, but in the meantime, it's just a hobby :)

7 comments:

  1. But Planet Algol's coming out this year, right ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brainstorming is a great thing. You tend to come up with some very good ideas that people naturally want to pick up and run with--like the Petty Gods thing. Keep on throwing out the great ideas--it just improves things for everyone, and who knows where any of it will lead?!? It's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually been tossing around an idea for an adventure path for the past several years using OSRIC, LL or S&W as the rule set. Tenatively called Shadow of the Umbra Palace, it was to start off with an entry level adventure named Sinister Sightings at Dustchapel Downs and then go into a confrontation with a malignant entity. I still have plans to work on it, but I just need to find the time. It all ties into the campaign setting I'm working on and the adventure Basalt Keep of Wilven the Yellow is one of the side adventure/artifacts. Large undertaking for an already busy guy, but hey, maybe my son Bear will help me finish it ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Netherwerks: Thanks...I love random brainstorming!

    @ Johnathan: I say go for it, and definitely get your son to help with monster and set-piece designs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I will. I'm going to post our collaborative effort on the Six Mouthed Goo Monster later today. I've pretty much finished writing up the stats based upon his description of what the creature does. I tell you, six year olds can come up with some pretty crazy stuff when it comes to monsters!

    ReplyDelete