Sunday, June 12, 2011

LOTFP is Poe, DCC is Lin Carter

LOTFPRPG is cold and tight (tight as in John Carpenter's score for Escape From New York) whereas DCCRPG is brash, lurid and sloppy (like underground horror comics and death metal band Autopsy).

While reading the DCC beta Appendix N personage and notorious hack (don't get me wrong, I love the guy AND The Worlds End Series IS amazing) Lin Carter repeatedly comes to mind. It is certainly apropos that a game that is a mish-mash of sundry editions of D&D and Appendix N reminds me so strongly of the sword & sorcery enthusiast and pastiche workhorse Lin Carter.

7 comments:

  1. You've just sold me LoFtP;p, I Love Poe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll buy the DCC comparison, but I'm not sure about the LotFP one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'd say that Grindhouse is more a cinematic interpretation of the source literature than straight up emulating the prose roots of the genre. Like a Hammer Studios or Dario Argento version of Poe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Marcus said. I get a much more Hammer horror vibe of Jim Raggi (but filtered through Argento and Fulci, perhaps with a metal soundtrack.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Further interpretation: The text of LOTFP is Poe-ish; the artwork of Grindhouse is Hammer Horror/Argento-esque.

    @ B. Portly: Don't hold back, say what you really mean ;)

    ReplyDelete