Monday, October 19, 2009

Planet Algol Music - "Hawkwind"



When things get too hectic in Sean/Dudebird's Wilderlands game I always appreciate it when Hawkwind shows up on the playlist. Psychedelic proto-metal with Motorhead and Michael Moorcock connections, I hear their influence in anarcho-punk/crust band like Rudimentary Peni and Doom.

I had previously stated, during one of my "No Elves/No Clerics/etc" Planet Algol rants, that "there's no damn bards on Planet Algol either!" Hawkwind have made me reconsider that particular position and now I have to design a bard-analogue class based on Hawkwind....mustachioed, longhaired, british psychedelic bikers that travel space and time by means of driving psych rock.

9 comments:

  1. Okay, for the record, I love your blog. I haven't quite figured out your campaign but I love it. It looks like your building a homebrew Mutant Future system and I love that too. Of course, I love Moorecock but find it hard to believe that Lemmy of Motorhead was also in Hawkwind. None-the-less, I had to leave a comment to let you know, the Planet Algol blog has at least one fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know how I've missed your blog until now... It's all sorts of awesome!

    I'm also a Hawkwind fan and believe Metal and D&D were made for each other

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to seeing the requirements for said Bard alternate class.

    More accurately I'm looking forward to the miracle of rolling straight and getting those stats.

    Still haven't even rolled a sage or cactoid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm with these dudes. I would love to kick ass on Planet Algol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll chime in as well. Great stuff. Love the genre. On the topic of acid death rock: I'm sure you're already familiar with Kuyss?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, that's enough to make me want to play a bard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your kind words,

    Chris: My game is houseruled AD&D without demi-humans or "divine" casters

    Sean: Afterwards, my intense desire for reduction kicked in and I realized that a psychedelic britsh space biker hippie musician would be a Sorcerer or Mind Wizard in psych rock drag.

    Navdi: I'm familiar with them, but I'm not much of a straigh up "stoner rawk" fan, I'm more a psych/doom/sludge kinda guy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm grooving on your stuff too. I appreciate the mix of music and RPG stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, I've got music posting fever right now, even though it's mostly "Kill Your Mother" stuff.

    ReplyDelete